Sunday 14 April 2013

Stripping the Paint of the Past

Hello all! Aseldi here. Recently, I appear to have been making a backwards move with my goal to paint up a 1250pts Space Wolf army for Conflict Scotland... I've been removing the paint of totally unrelated models!

My first army when I came to the hobby was the Dark Angels... Back when Codexes cost £12... Well, many things have changed since then, not least the price of the codex, or my allegiances. The Lion would not be pleased, but Russ showed him who's boss, so no losses there.

Anyway, my point. I had Azrael and Ezekiel (the latter happens to be one of my favourite models in the whole game actually...) sitting on the shelf, bearing the splatters of a far younger self. I'd even gone to the extent of varnishing them, so their shine seemed to congeal all the mess already upon them.

But anyway, to my point: acetone is really effective for stripping the paint off metal models! Basically nail varnish, I just poured some into a jar, put my models in, and left them overnight.
By the next morning, the paint and varnish had softened enough to be removed with a bit of scrubbing from an old tooth brush, and the acetone had also dissolved the superglue.

So now I'm left with the models as good as new! Maybe I'll get round to painting them again some day...
-Aseldi



No comments:

Post a Comment