Monday 10 June 2013

Rhino Painting Step by Step Guide

Greetings to all who've graced this Blog! Aseldi here with a followup to yesterday's painting article, with a run through on how I painted the Rhino, in case you want to go for the same look, or maybe get some inspiration.

Like I've said before, I'm on a pretty tight time and budget, so have stuck to a few simple steps, which can be applied across my whole army, using similar colours.
The paints are mainly from the recommended Space Wolf colour scheme on the Games Workshop site (cause I'm creative like that...). So they go as follows:


And can be found here to buy from the GW
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/paintChart.jsp?catId=cat820002a&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools



So, I started off by spraying the Rhino black (duh) then base-coated it The Fang, followed by a wash of Nuln Oil.


Next, I painted most of the raised areas Russ Grey.


After that, I painted the edges, and most raised areas Fenrisian Grey. As well as adding some of the old Mechrite Red to the banner, and painted the casing of the weapons Abaddon Black.

I then gave the whole model another liberal wash of Nuln Oil (I get through that paint massively quick...)

After the wash had dried, I used Etherium Blue over the model from front to back, like I imagined the wind would blow the snow over it as it raced through the desolate, freezing, landscape.


I really like the look of the model at this stage, as if it's being frozen by the harsh surroundings, frost accumulating on every surface. But with the introduction of the texture paints, I thought I'd add some Mourn Mountain Snow onto the areas around the treads, where the snow would be thrown by the movement of the vehicle.

And there we have it! My humble guide to painting the Space Wolf Rhino! This wasn't at all an alternative to painting the rest of my army...

As always, comments are greatly appreciated!

-Aseldi


No comments:

Post a Comment